[postgis-users] installing postgis in Ubuntu 5.10(Breezy)

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Nov 17 00:27:40 PST 2005

Hi, Alex,

alex bodnaru wrote:

> yes, i'm providing packages separation, creating them in loops.
> to the moment (postgis 0.9 and 1.0) there are 15 packages out there,
> part of them with java, utilities, shared files etc.

Wow. 15 packages. Phew.

> are you suggesting that postgis-1.1 will not run databases created with
> postgis-1.0 ?

I'm afraid that we will need a database migration between 1.0 and 1.1,
but the clients should run unchanged. Maybe it is possible to create a
"smooth" migration tool that updates the database in place, because the
internal storage format has not changed, but I'm not shure.

Markus