[postgis-users] Ruby/PostGIS

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Wed Feb 1 20:42:37 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:33:24PM -0700, Scott Davis wrote:
> Anyone doing any work with Ruby/Rails and PostGIS?

I haven't done much with Rails but a few months ago I was working
on a Ruby module to handle the OGC types, although it was more of
an exercise than anything else.  I was mostly interested in turning
(E)WKB strings into Ruby objects so I could query PostGIS tables
from a Ruby client.  The module is usable for my purposes but that's
about it; I intended to turn it into a gem and release it but I
haven't done anything with it for a while.

> The next step is getting ActiveRecord tweaked to recognize the OGC
> datatypes coming out. Since there are Java and C bindings, is SWIG an
> option?

GEOS 3.0 has a swig/ruby directory but I haven't looked at it yet,
so I don't know what all is there.

--
Michael Fuhr