[postgis-users] Permission denied for relation geometry_columns

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 08:45:08 PST 2006

[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Rolf de
By
> Sent: 08 February 2006 15:58
> To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
> Subject: [postgis-users] Permission denied for relation geometry_columns
>
> I run a PostgreSQL8.1+PostGIS1.0 installation in a course on spatial
databases.
> My users, students, have their own accounts and schemas.  There is also a
public schema
> that has USAGE grant for PUBLIC.  Students are supposed to create feature
tables in
> their personal schema, and want to register the geometry columns in
> public.geometry_columns.  They do so by:
>
> SELECT AddGeometryColumn('m6h','tempy','geom',4267,'POLYGON',2);
>
> where m6h is both account name and schema name.
>
> The error resulting is:
>
> Error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: permission denied for
relation
> geometry_columns, SQL State: 42501, Error Code: 0

Hi Rolf,

Looking at the source of AddGeometryColumn(), I can see that it will first
attempt to delete any stale records from geometry_columns first. Perhaps you
need to grant your users the DELETE privilege on the geometry_columns table
for this to work?

Kind regards,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.