[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

R. Paul Warriner warrinerr at orchardparkny.org
Thu Jul 13 08:27:34 PDT 2006

Who are you?
R. Paul Warriner, Network Coordinator, Town of Orchard Park, New York

What are you using PostGIS for?
Conversion, maintenance, and presentation of 10 years worth of local
government GIS assets, with plans  to include 100 years of GASB 34
information.

Why did you choose PostGIS?

Is there anything better? :)

Seriously, we already used PostgreSQL for data collection during our GASB
inventory, with a ton of shapefiles out on the wing. It was a natural fit to
make our information available to the public, at the lowest possible cost.

The added benefit of maintaining the information is turning out to be a big
bonus and future analytical work with only add more value to the project.

What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
Flexibility, ease of use, and definitely cost

What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Disaster recovery is a concern, as the system grows.