[postgis-users] Center of Points

marco vieira maovieira at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:12:24 PST 2006

Jens
 You can create a boundary() around your points and get the centroid() after
or simply get x() and y() from centroid(extent(the_geom)) from your set of
points. All of these is a geometric aprouch of the problem.
  I think you have to decide in a statistics aprouch or a geometric aprouch.
Example: if you take the average() of x() and y() of all your points your
are aprouching in a statistic way (the expected position of a set of
points). In this case, you should know the behaviour of the phenomena mapped
to choose the best probability density function that fit your problem. Maybe
you can implement something more apropriated with R-statistics package for
postgreSQL.
Regards.

 --
Marco Vieira