[postgis-users] srid / area

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 03:12:58 PDT 2006

Hi Christo,

Setting the SRID to geometric column does not change the data in that
column, it just tells  the spatial reference system (SRS) of your
data. Your data are still in degree.

You must use the tranform() function to reproject your data in order
to compute areas in square meters instead of square degrees.
Choose a target SRS that preserve areas.

Something like:
select area(transform(the_geom, <target_srid>)) AS ar
from cdsmriverareaview
order by ar

Nicolas