[postgis-users] Unexpected Topology Exception...?

Craig Feuerherdt craigfeuerherdt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 00:38:47 PDT 2006

I have been running the SQL below and it has been working fine for 2 out of
my three tables (_priority1 & _priority2) however when I try to run it with
_priority3 I get an error;

NOTICE: TopologyException: no outgoing dirEdge found (some coordinates)
ERROR: GEOS Intersection() threw an error

****SQL CODE CAUSING ERROR*****
DROP TABLE _test;
CREATE TABLE _test AS
SELECT area(transform(intersection(p.the_geom, p1.the_geom),28354))/10000 as
area, p.pfi
FROM _clip_parcel_not_crown as p, _priority3 as p1
WHERE p.the_geom && p1.the_geom
AND within(p.the_geom, p1.the_geom)
OR overlaps(p1.the_geom, p.the_geom);
DROP TABLE _test2;
CREATE TABLE _test2 AS
SELECT pfi, sum(area) as area
FROM _test
GROUP BY pfi
ORDER BY pfi;
UPDATE interim_parcel
SET priority3 = area
FROM _test2
WHERE interim_parcel.parcelpfi = pfi

This seems very odd to me because I ran a similar statement which ran fine
for all of my tables _priority1, 2 & 3;

****SQL CODE******
UPDATE interim_parcel
SET priority1 = area(transform(intersection(p.the_geom, p1.the_geom
),28354))/10000
FROM _clip_parcel_not_crown as p, _priority1 as p1
WHERE p.the_geom && p1.the_geom
AND (overlaps(p.the_geom, p1.the_geom) OR within(p.the_geom, p1.the_geom))
AND interim_parcel.parcelpfi = p.pfi

If someone could point out what is going on it would be appreciated.

Running POSTGRESQL 8.0.8 & POSTGIS 1.1.2.

Thanks in advance,

Craig