[postgis-users] Tutorial PostGIS - hibernate - EJB3

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Tue Sep 19 09:28:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have cleaned up the hibernate driver, and written a tutorial here;

http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?SpatialEJB3

The tutorial is in 'draft', it covers using Java 5 annotations to
persist spatial objects to

PostGIS, exposing Java 5 pojos as a web service, and finally using
Python as a client to

JBoss web services to update PostGIS.

Apologies for its draft nature, hopefully it is of use to somewhere.  If
someone reading this has administrative

rights to the wiki could they copy the files off virtual space and put
them in the wiki (if accepted as a useful document of course!)

This work is a contribution to in the current investigation by the OSGEO
GeoData group led by Jo Walsh in creating simple RESTful

Catalog interfaces -
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Simple_Catalog_Interface

My aim is to transfer the ingest mechanism so that a web Crawler can
update PostGIS; the scalability of the queue, and the fact I can
seamlessly cluster JBoss make this useful.

Possible extension ideas are;

Spatial EJB-QL makes it useful for a catalog.

J2EE Transactions make it useful as a WFS :-)

Having discussed this with Markus, the code is available under the LGPL
since it is a work that builds off the PostGIS JDBC driver.

Thanks,

Norman