[postgis-users] Lat/lon bounding box to area?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Feb 2 11:11:20 PST 2007

How accurate do you need your area to be? Best bet would be to treat the
lat/lon "box" as a trapezoid (which more closely approximates its
"ground shape"). Use distance_sphere or distance_spheroid to calculate
the metric length of the top and bottom and the height, then basic math
to calculate the area.