[postgis-users] Geocoding

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Fri Feb 2 13:05:54 PST 2007

The Tiger data is getting better.  At least here in North Carolina, the
Census Bureau is working with the local county governments to produce an
enhanced TIGER dataset .   7.6 meter accuracy for roads.  They want to be
done by 2008.

Related links below.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/future/future_tl.html
http://www.census.gov/geo/mtep_obj2/mtr.html

http://72.14.209.104
/search?q=cache:RsQ3w_Wgn9EJ:wagic.wa.gov/Presentations03/Aug18/MB082103%2520WAGIC%2520MTEP%2520Update.ppt+census+TIGER+enhanced&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=36&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Doug
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             "Rob Tester"
             <robtester at gmail.
             Sent by:                  "'PostGIS Users Discussion'"
             postgis-users-bou         <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             nces at postgis.refr         net>
             actions.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/02/2007 03:29          RE: [postgis-users] Geocoding
             PM

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

I think that the task of geocoding is fairly easy and I have written a
geocode function that uses PostGIS. However, the problem is where to get
the data. In the U.S. you can use Tiger line data from the census, but it
is horrible inaccurate.  If you have resources you can purchase more
accurate data from other companies like Navteq, or manually correct the
census data.

Rob.