[postgis-users] Reprojecting a PostGIS database

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Mon Feb 5 12:16:42 PST 2007

Hi folks,

I have a PostGIS database which is currently in a Plate Carree
projection (EPSG 4326); this looks significantly distorted, and so we'd
like to change the projection we show to users to something less
distortionary. This brings up two questions:

1. Is it better to reproject the database once and for all, or to leave
it in 4326 and reproject on the fly? If the former, how can I do that?

2. How does one intelligently choose a projection from the thousands
stored in spatial_ref_sys? Currently, we've got data from only the
Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area and have no plans to expand, but we
could grow beyond that eventually. Also, it would be nice if map units
stayed within the range (-180, 180) which would allow us to minimize
changes to other parts of our application.

Any help, pointers to resources, or suggestions would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Reid