[postgis-users] Need help to load data in PostGIS

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Wed Feb 14 18:25:21 PST 2007

Khalid,

There is also a brand new gis application at
http://www.viewportimaging.com/ that you can download for a one year
free license of the beta 1.0 version that will do what you need (a
single user license costs $99).  You can use it to load shape files and
other vector formats into the map and then you can save them out to a
postgis database.  Once you load a shape file into the map window, right
click on the layer tree node and say "Save As".  A file save as dialog
box will pop up.  At the bottom of the dialog select the dropdown box
called "save as type" and select PostgreSQL.  It then prompts you for
the connection information.  If the connection can be made it will save
your shape file into the database as a layer.  If the layer already
exists it will over-write it.  Then you can see your new layer in the
database by adding a new layer to the map.  When you add a new layer to
the map there is a drop-down box at the bottom of the file open dialog
called "Data Source".  Select PostgreSQL and then select the "Connect"
button.  You will be prompted with a list of database tables including
the one you just inserted.

The application also supports loading rasters, which you can overlay
your vectors.  Don't know if that will help you but it might.

mc