[postgis-users] Need help to load data in PostGIS

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Feb 15 05:15:10 PST 2007

Khalid,
      You might be better off using GRASS and php with mapserver  .
Gdal_rasterize http://www.gdal.org/gdal_rasterize.html will convert the
shape files to a raster dataset.  See http://grass.itc.it/start.html

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             Khalid
             <kmsaif at gmail.com
             Sent by:                  postgis-users at postgis.refractions.n
             postgis-users-bou         et
             nces at postgis.refr                                          cc
             actions.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       [postgis-users] Need help to load
             02/14/2007 05:44          data in PostGIS
             PM

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

Hi,

I am a student and is working on a project which will use MapServer and
PostGIS. I have data in vector format as ESRI compatible shapefiles. My
task is to load data into PostGIS as raster and then to perform overlay
analysis and display map  in web browser through mapserver (on windows
platform).

I am newbie to PostGIS and is trying to load data into PostGIS. I am
wondering if anybody can give me idea/guideline about

a) how should I load data into PostGIS
b) how vector to raster transformation will happen
c) how I will perform overlay analysis using raster data.

Your response is higly appreciated