[postgis-users] Question on how to optimize linestring to points distance query

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jul 9 13:48:25 PDT 2007

Perhaps you could try some experiments for us :)

Write a PL/PgSQL function that takes in a linestring and returns a
tupleset of two (or four or eight) bounding boxes, that taken together
cover the linestring.  By recursively dividing the master box into
smaller boxes that still cover the line, you should be able to get
bigger index selectivity.

If your tests work OK, this could be something of more general
applicability.