[postgis-users] database wide unique ID

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Mon Jul 23 07:45:15 PDT 2007

Use postgresql OIDs. These are "unique" object IDs.

You can switch these on as default in the postgresql.conf

They are relatively unique, as they wrap around at the MAX_INT,
but relatively OK if you have less than MAX_INT objects.

Better still, phase out MSSQL. Then your employer will be really
happy :-)

GL

mlinden at zeelandnet.nl wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> Thanks to you all I have my first real import ready. Of course this is not
> enough for my employer ;-)
>
> For some extra functionality that is needed, we need a database wide
> unique ID. This is because our postGIS database will feed another (MSSQL)
> database with some sort of key index. In the MSSQL database, no difference
> is made between point,line and poly. Therefor my three tables (mypoint,
> myline and mypoly) need to have system wide ID's so I can return a
> relational table to MSSQL.
>
> Is there anyone that know how to generate a database wide unique ID?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Milo van der Linden

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission