[postgis-users] Install problem

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed May 2 12:21:34 PDT 2007

Hi,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying a Debian based distro (SimplyMepis) & have compiled & installed
Postgres, & am trying to get Postgis working.

(The repositories do not have latest versions, & I'm running 64bit which is not
supported by DebianGIS- hence the compile from source)

Postgres seems fine:

select version();
PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.0.3
(Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)

PostGIS seemed to configure/make/make install fine.

However, when I try to install Postgis into a database it fails.

createlang plpgsql baw     # seemed fine
psql -d baw -f lwpostgis.sql   # fails, the initial error msg is:

BEGIN
psql:lwpostgis.sql:43: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:43: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2": /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2:
undefined symbol: has_arc
psql:lwpostgis.sql:48: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored
until end of transaction block

the library file does exist: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2

ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1371563 2007-05-02 18:50
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2

I tried runing ldconfig to tidy up lib paths,

locate liblwgeom
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.2

(the 1st two are symlinks to the last one)
suggests there is no other lib file of thge same name hanging around.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is & how to fix it? I've normally used
OpenSUSE & have not run into this problem before.

Thanks,

   Brent Wood