[postgis-users] Create polygon from buffered points

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Wed Nov 14 16:32:37 PST 2007

Interesting problem...

I don't have an concrete answer or SQL to provide - but I have some
helpful suggestions (as usual 8^)

Your use of buffer is not a problem - buffering points is fast.

Essentially what you are wanting to do is to compute the transitive
closure of the "intersects" graph on the computed point buffers. One way
to do this is to simply geomunion all the computed point buffers, and
then split the result back into individual polygons. But this won't
scale all that well (see the recent thread on the problems with unioning
large numbers of polygons). Might be worth a try, though, especially if
you can partition your data.

Failing that, you could compute the adjacency matrix of the graph
implied by the intersects relationship, compute the transitive closure
of this graph, and then group by this partioning and use geomunion on
the result. Only one problem with this - you can't compute transitive
closures in raw SQL. You need to use pgSQL and iterate over the graph.
Here's a web page which discusses how to do this:
http://www.talkaboutdatabases.com/group/pgsql.hackers/messages/12948.html

Apologies if this is too techy to understand - perhaps there's some
other people on the list who have some simpler ideas, or who can translate!