[postgis-users] Problems installing PostGIS on Red Hat EL 5

Paragon lr at pcorp.us
Wed Apr 2 12:29:52 PDT 2008

Thanks Paul.  Yes that was it and linking to the geos 3.0.0 fixed that issue
- just my inexperience with RedHat I think is the big culprit.  I'm hesitant
to completely blow out the old geos since there is a bunch of stuff I'm not
familiar with on this box that is probably linking to it.

I haven't throughly tested yet with the postgis-svn but realize I'm probably
going into some not so chartered territories especially since the
Svn seems to be in a state of flux just looking at the postgis-dev
newsgroup.

You know off hand anything we should be aware of?  I'm building a completely
clean database now and soon will be loading tons of data into it and doing
all sorts of spatial acrobatic maneuvers so we'll let you know if we see
anything strange with the 8.3.1 and postgis-svn (1.3.3) mix.

You mentioned something with ST_Contains on Postgis-dev, but my simple

select st_contains('POINT(1 1)', 'POINT(1 1)') -> true seems to work okay

ST_Union as far as I can tell seems to be working too (well its not crashing
the postgresql service anymore at anyrate) though seems

So right now not sure if whatever the issue is with ST_Contains is  fixed or
that's just what I get for eavesdropping on not so private conversations.

Thanks,
Regina