[postgis-users] RE: Slow vacuuming

Paragon lr at pcorp.us
Thu Apr 10 20:38:43 PDT 2008

Upping my work_mem didn't seem to make a difference although it improved my
query speed on some other things.

vacuum analyze fl.fl_edges;

I ruled out clustering as the issue since I have dropped all indexes on that
table before I reran vacuum analyze.

I thought maybe there was some corruption somewhere so I had copied that
data to a temp table with a bulk insert

SELECT * INTO fl.fl_edges_temp FROM fl.fl_edges

(which ran in about 80 secs) - total records 2,231,947

Then I did a
truncate table fl.fl_eges

and repopulated which took about 90 seconds.  And now vacuuming patiently
for the past 15 minutes or so.

Any other thoughts,
Thanks
Regina

 >  I'm going to up my work_mem once my current state load is done or at
least at a safe breaking point.