[postgis-users] Transform overlapping polygons to non-overlapping?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Jul 11 09:14:46 PDT 2008

To All,

  There doesn't seem to be an obvious answer to the problem given below (aka cleaning polygons, creating planar polygons, etc).  I did see a note on the PostGIS wiki wishlist to "Add a geometry cleaner". There is also a suggestion to convert to linestrings, node, then polygonize (while that may work for a small set of polygons, I've got 1.1 million to clean).  JTS, Geos, etc will likely fail due to the large number of polygons so I'll need a different approach.

  I'm considering writing some code to iterate through my table of polygons, cleaning a small subset at a time.  I think using PostGIS for the geometry storage and spatial query/selection makes sense.  Any suggestions on which API to use?
	GDAL's OGR
	PostgreSQL's libpq
	other?

Thanks!