[postgis-users] Semantics of difference() function

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Thu Jun 5 08:43:09 PDT 2008

Agreed, Andy.  Good summary.

I think the operation also is meaningful for the case (line, polygon) =>
line (this is equivalent to a combination of line.difference(polygon)
and line.intersection(polygon) )

Having thought about this with an eye to implementation, I've take the
definition a bit further:

* The result of split(g1, g2) is a two-component GeometryCollection,
GC(c1, c2).
* The first component c1 is the portion of g1 which lies to inside, to
the left of, or before, g2 (depending on whether g2 is a polygon, line
or point).  The second component c2 is the portion of g1 which lies
outside, to the right of, or after g2.
* The types of c1 and c2 are the same as g1.  c1 and c2 may be empty, in
degenerate cases (e.g,. where one or more components of g1 are not
intersected, or intersected only at their boundary).
* Any components of g2 which have a position which is not well-defined
relative to g2 (e.g.which are not intersected, or which are intersected
only partially), are returned as components of c1 (--- this rule is
fairly arbitrary - a different strategy might make equal sense)