[postgis-users] where to register to submit bug?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 02:17:31 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> This is a well-chewed issue, and we have come down repeatedly in
> favour of allowing invalid geometry to be loaded. Which, I suppose,
> means we should loosen the parser to allow even non-closed rings.

Dropping the checks from the parser is a relatively straightforward
thing to do. My concern would be that some of the basic routines (e.g.
area calculations) would start to fail if rings weren't closed :(

> What *does* need to be done (issue for me, it's not that hard) is a
> few additional hooks to the GEOS isvalid routines so people can easily
> identify WHY and WHERE their geometries are invalid.

Yeah, that would be quite useful to have. Is this something that would
require work on GEOS before the functionality could be added to PostGIS?

> More difficult, probably need in of some funding to get Martin's
> attention, is some formalized cleaning routines that go beyond what
> Buffer(0) can accomplish.

There does seem to be a lot of discussion recently about new features;
perhaps we need to add a "How to sponsor a feature" section to the wiki
explaining how companies can approach developers to get new features
implemented...

ATB,

Mark.

--