[postgis-users] OT: Any one know of a Census list that discussesthe Tiger data

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 20 15:42:06 PDT 2008

Actually, there is one (very inactive) list that does deal with the
StatsCan Road Network Files. It was created to deal with the lack of
local geography identifiers in the StatsCan RNF (e.g., like the Zip Code
information given in TIGER data). The only identifier is (implicitly)
the province, since the files are released on a province by province
basis, but I digress.

The list is can_rnf, and is hosted by OSGEO.

Dan

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:25 -0700, rm_postgis at cheapcomplexdevices.com
wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Obe, Regina wrote:
> > I suppose we can have just one list to cover all national data formats.
> > Would be interesting to compare across all the nations how each tracks
> > similar things.  We might be able to learn a lot from each other.
>
> Agreed that it's convenient to have all national data formats on topic on
> a single list; since one thing I would have wanted to ask questions on
> in the past is aligning data at the political boundaries between
> countries.
>
> > I don't think the list will be that that trafficked anyway if it was just
> > Tiger. I've been playing with Tiger and Canada's equivalent for a project
> > I'm working on so having just one list to subscribe to would be nice.
>
> Ah. Curious what (and where) Canada's equivalent is?  I could have
> used something like that a few years back and didn't see one.

Dan Putler
Sauder School of Business
University of British Columbia