[postgis-users] Attributes update

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri May 30 04:25:37 PDT 2008

Hi, Lucas,

"Lucas Mueller" <lucas.mueller at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two polygon layers (let's say Parcels and Land_use). I would like to
> assign the attribute Land_use.type to the Parcels.landuse column by a query
> that assigns a certain land use type to a parcel if the centroid of the
> parcel is within a certain land use polygon. I hope to be clear enough...
> Any idea on how to proceed?

Try something like:

update land_use set type=(select parcels.landuse FROM parcels where
land_use.the_geom && parcels.the_geom AND
within(centroid(parcels.the_geom),land_use.the_geom));

Btw, I tend to mix up the argument order of within and contains, so
please double-check.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org