[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.3.4 RC3 released

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 04:55:16 PST 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Mark,
>
> My general opinion about this.  No its not worth the effort unless it
> takes you 5 minutes and won't break anything and doesn't require further
> maintenance :).
>
> I figure most people upgrading are probably going to upgrade GEOS.   I
> mean you expect all functions to be available in your install and if
> they happen to be running a geos that old, I question whether they would
> be running the new GCC.
>
> Also its annoying to have to say things like hmm by the way you can't
> use ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology because you don't have GEOS 3.0+.  Too
> much minutia to remember.

For people who are reasonably happy compiling code, it's probably not so
much of an issue. The annoying part is that some LTS distros (Ubuntu,
I'm looking at you) are still shipping GEOS 2.2 series, even though 3.0
had been out nearly a year before the distro shipped. So for these
people we still need to maintain 2.2 series support IMO.

> Does the old gcc work fine with old 2....?  If so then scrap fixing it
> for new installs -- you want to stick with old technology stick with old
> technology across the board period.  If it doesn't then hmm - I would
> say lets just say to use 1.3.4 you need to have Geos 3.0.3 or above
> installed.

I wouldn't mind this so much, except for the fact that 1.3.4 contains
critical memory leak fixes/crash fixes that people really need to have
in production :(  However, for 1.4 I have no objection to making GEOS
3.0 a minimum requirement - this would at least enable us to get rid
those final compilation warnings. Feel free to put forward a proposal on
-devel :)

ATB,

Mark.

--