[postgis-users] Bug Converting from WGS 84 to UTM ?

Oliver Monson monson36 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:55:34 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm seeing some random bug, or just not doing/understanding
something correctly?

I have a list of point geometries in a table (WGS 84 SRID=4326). I wanted to
extract the UTM coordinates for these points, so I chose SRID= 32710, which
has the description PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 10S..." since my points were
in Northern California. I perform my select statement which looks something
like this:

SELECT x(ST_Transform(geometry,32710)), y(ST_Transform(geometry,32710))
FROM point_table

But the results seem strange. Doing a quick check vs the UTM coordinates in
Google Earth, I see theres this extra "1" in front of all of my Northing
values.
Here's an example:

Lon -122.3888235, Lat 37.7729709 transforms to --> 553824.9278 E,
14180802.0043 N (through PostGIS),
when it looks like it should be (via Google Earth) 553824.9278m E,
4180802.0043m N

Am I using the wrong SRID, or is this some known bug? Is there any way I can
rectify this and get the correct UTM value straight from PostGIS?
Any insights would be appreciated,

thanks,

Oliver