[postgis-users] Postgis - Line to Point distance

Peter Kukuča pjr.kukuca at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 01:21:09 PDT 2009

Dear sir,

I am not sure if I am writing to the correct email address. I have found a
post on the postgis-users formu from *Rich Gibson *and this address was next
to it.

I am using postgis for a while now and it is great. It solved a lot of
problems for me.

However, I am now facing a problem I cannot solve. I searched for almost two
days now, but I still cannot find an answer. Here is my problem:

I have a database of linestrings in wgs84 projection and points in wgs84
projection. I would like to determine the distance between a line and a
point. The ST_distance function does this very well, but it does not take
the wgs84 projection into account and also, the result is in degrees. On the
other hand, the ST_Distance_Spheroid does take the wgs84 into accound and
does give the result in meters, but it does not accept a linestring as an
input parameter.

Is there any way i can the distance between a line and a point in meters
from the wgs84 projected input? I do not need grat accuracy. +-5 meters is
still good enough. Thank you for your tips.

--
S pozdravom (regards)
Ing. Peter Kukuča