[postgis-users] Considerations on performance: union on 59000 geometries

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara jp.alcantara at geo-st.com
Mon Jul 20 11:09:38 PDT 2009

Hello everybody,

today I tried to perform a union on 59000 geometries, but the operation
seems not to complete. In no way I'm an expert in PostgreSQL/PostGIS
optimization, and for sure my system is not in the perfect shape to
address such operations with elegance.

My questions are:

* should PostGIS be able to perform this operation if properly
optimized? and

* could you please advise me some piece of documentation for learning
about PostgreSQL / PostGIS optimization?

I read somewhere that the french cartographic service has migrated to
PostGIS, so I have no doubt that this have to be possible to achieve,
and speaks loud about the importance of optimization issues.

Regards,

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara