[postgis-users] points to lines [Clarification]

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue Jul 21 08:52:11 PDT 2009

If I understand you correctly, your link table already contains the necessary data to create a linestring (node_1/node_2
or startpoint/endpoint).  You could denormalize your link table to contain a geometry column or create a new table.

CREATE TABLE lines AS
SELECT
    links.id,
    links.weight,
    ST_MakeLine(a.the_geom, b.the_geom) AS the_geom
FROM links, nodes a, nodes b
WHERE links.node_1 = a.node_id
AND links.node_2 = b.node_id;

-- Kevin