[postgis-users] Compiling PostGIS 1.4.0 release on Solaris 10

Nathan Widmyer lighthousej at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:54:27 PST 2009

The machine has a system PostgreSQL 8.1 something but no PostGIS extensions.
The box also has Pg 8.4.0 with PostGIS 1.4.0 (GEOS 3.1.1) that I
compiled about six months ago.  I thought the instance was turned off
for several reasons, but I see what you mean of a mixup in Pg
instances, I'll check that out.

Yes, it's a newer sun sparc box.  I know what you mean about the
prevalence of x86.  I posted to the list before about the endianness
before and got the surprising response that there's not any
established PostGIS build system, I was surprised considering how
robust the linux and windows installers are, with stackbuilder and
everything to make it incredibly easy. Postgres for sparc is just a
tarball, I have to run initdb by hand to get a database.

Thanks for the information about AsBinary though, good to know to make
the DB backup/dml more portable.

Nate