[postgis-users] Help in Defending FOSS SDI

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Mon Aug 2 06:07:37 PDT 2010

For what it's worth: I cannot speak about FOSS in general, but for
raster servers I dare to take position.
Open-source rasdaman repeatedly has been reported to have a performance
way superior to ArcSDE.
Some more voices (look at the Oracle one!):
“world leading technology." -- Aerovista France (market survey, 2004)
“I am not easy to impress, but this is unique." -- Eng. Hans Jacoby,
Infrastructure Management, German Railways
“Most favourable tool for Data Mgmnt Services" -- NIMA (USA) Pathfinder
evaluation 2003; >700 vendors invited
“Impressive software - Oracle will never do anything that elaborate in
functionality and architecture." -- Jeffrey Xie, Senior Tech. Staff,
GeoRaster, Oracle USA
"Your performance continues to amaze me." -- David Adler, Senior
Database Engineer, IBM USA
"most comprehensive implementation" -- Rona Machlin, ACM SIGMOD, 2007

Starting this fall rasdaman will be integrated with GDAL (works
already), MapServer, PostGIS. Rasdaman can exploit multiple processors
and can be distributed (free version) and supports transparent tape silo
access (commercial version). Installations grow by just adding the new
compute nodes and editing a configuration script. Multi-Petabyte
scalability is not an issue.

As for FOSS standards support, your folks may want to have a look at
www.earthlook.org which gives demos of 1-D to 4-D earth science use
cases, all based on OGC standards.

I myself am leading the raster-relevant working groups within OGC, plus
editor of currently 9 specification documents. In this capacity I know
that FOSS is of high importance to OGC and receives high attention
there. The forthcoming WCS 2.0 standard (adoption vote ends by August
17) will have open-source rasdaman as its reference implementation. We
already have done first steps on the way to make sure the specification
is implementable and scalable. BTW, WCS 2.0 will rely on a unified
coverage model which allows coverages to float between services relying
on different OGC standards, such as WPS, WCS, SWE Common, GML.

HTH - best of luck,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 10xx)