[postgis-users] How to setup a versioned datastore?

Rick graham.rick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 07:33:24 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Dominik Wiedner <DominikWiedner at web.de>wrote:

> Hello George,
>
> What I think of is to keep track of the changes made within a table.
> For instance: If a row is altered, that row will be copied, so that you
> have an unaltered original and an altered version.
>
> Dominik

I'm going to be doing this as well, in a month or so.

I haven't really thought this out, but I considered thinking of having an
object ID, a version number and an archive flag.

really, all you need is the object id and the version, which must be unique,
but having an archive flag would make querying easier.

 id |version|archived| ... | geometry
100 |   1   | True   | ...
100 |   2   | True   | ...
100 |   3   | True   | ...
100 |   4   | False  | ...

Is there a more clever way to do this?

Is there a case to involve version control? (like git or svn)

--
Cheers!
Rick