[postgis-users] RE Importing shapefiles to PostGIS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Jan 29 12:28:15 PST 2010

Hi Shreerang,

I use QGIS to do this sort of verification, although you could also use OpenJump or udig. These Open Source GIS applications allow you to open both the shapefile & Postgis versions of the data and view them graphically (or cartographically) on screen.

By opening both & overlaying (superimposing) them in contrasting colours on screen it is relatively easy to spot any variation between them. You can find any features that were either altered or omitted by the conversion & upload process.

It is not often these days that there are any problems, but this does let you see the data & carry out a simple check.

HTH,

  Brent Wood