[postgis-users] Best Practices for Configuring Large Data Sets

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri May 28 08:36:54 PDT 2010

Hi Bill,

I have not done much like you describe, but am working with Postgis tables with around 155,000,000 polygons in them, & have got very reasonable performance out of it.

General comments, some probably obvious, but here anyway...

I'm running a quad core AMD 965 with 16Gb memory & my db in a raid 0 partition (software raid under Linux) across fastish 1Tb WD black hard drives.

You are moving lots of data for a query on such datasets so fast disk, spatial queries are also fpu/cpu intensive. Get a balanced system, but disk I/O will generally be the bottleneck. A fast cpu will still be idling waiting for data as the most likely bottleneck.

Use a 64 bit O/S to allow full use of as much memory as you can. With DDR3 now providing fast & affordable 4Gb modules, at least 16Gb is good.

Use latest versions of Postgres/Postgis. They have improved indexing & prepared queries which are around 10x faster than previous ones for many spatial queries.

Use tablespaces. Put indexes & data on separate physical disks (or arrays). Heads jumping around of drives is the slowest part of the equation.

Use aspatial columns/indices where possible & pre-populate. eg: for all records (section, city, county, etc) have an indexed column for state. Select section where state='ID' will be much faster than where ST_contains(state.geom, section.geom)

If you often have queries like "W of Mississippi" then add an indexed boolean column as a flag for this & pre-populate, again "select ... where [not]  w_mis and ..." is much quicker than "select ... where <one of several geometry based approaches> and ..."

Table partitioning might help, but configure the server to use them effectively.  Maybe the section table partitioned by state, but configure the server to use table partitions effectively. (there is documentation on this, but other ways can be more effective)

If you do a lot of section-in-state queries, then having a clustered index on section.state should help.

Use functional & conditional indexes (see this post for details:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-February/011198.html)

Yes, using pre configured bounding boxes will help, any way to quickly reduce the result set to be further processed can make big differences.

Don't trust the query planner. While it usually does a pretty good job, with complex spatial queries it can get confused. "explain" is your friend, even if it does talk in some arcane jargon at times. If a query is taking longer than you expected, it can often be tweaked to give faster results.

Store ALL your data in a single projection/coord system. You don't want any unnecessary transforms.

Use 2D geometries. I don't know what the overhead in a few bytes extra per coord, but why suffer it if you don't need to.

HTH,

Brent Wood