[postgis-users] How to import/export PostGIS Raster data? Tools?

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Wed Jan 5 14:37:47 PST 2011

I planned this ST_AsRasterOutputFormat since a while. I thought I had put it in the spec but apparently I didn't. (Now it's done: http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/SpecificationWorking03) I called it ST_AsGDALRaster().

>> Actually, the only dependence with GDAL is in the ST_DumpAsPolygons
>function. We could break this dependence using our polygonize function.
>Good point.  Yah right now I don't even bother compiling GDAL with
>PostgreSQL support or others since it really doesn't need it for our current
>use.  Which is why the gdal so/dll is all I ever need to package.
>I guess using the Tiff, etc. would require us adding additional dependencies
>since GDAL depends on tiff drivers and so forth.
>
>My thinkng though aside from adding more dependencies -- is I really don't
>like calling the functions ST_AsJPEG etc.  It limits our future options and
>to me just creates function bloat.

I think ST_AsJPEG, ST_AsTiff, ST_AnyFormat should just be wrapper around this more general ST_AsGDALRaster() using the GDAL dll.

Yes this will increase our dependency over GDAL.

I don't think we want to/will reduce/eliminate our dependency over GDAL over time. GDAL is a library made for use by software like ours, why not using it if it serve us well. Up to now it reduced our development time for ST_DumpAsPolygons and ST_Intersection by weeks if not months.

I plan to use GDAL not only for this ST_AsGDALRaster() function but also to implement transparent use of out-of-db raster and for ST_Resample().

Beside this Paul seemed to be happy that PostGIS could now use GDAL for I don't remember which use.

>I'd much rather have the deliberateness encoded in an enum.  Now that
>PostgreSQL 9.1 will allow altering enums, this will allow for infinite
>expansion of possibilities without function bloat and there are a a lot of
>raster types out there.
>
>http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-altertype.html

You will have to elaborate a bit more on this for me to understand. (Sometimes I'm very slow...)

Pierre