[postgis-users] migrating tables to postgis

MarkW mark.wimer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:20:56 PST 2011

Now that you have data in columns in Postgresql, you can use SQL statements
to create your spatial data. Here are the steps:
1) identify your SRID/ spatial reference system
2) create geometries by passing your x and y with a spatial ref to the right
function, and
3) add a row to the geometry_columns table so that other applications can
more easily see the spatial data.

1) It's much easier if you can match your coordinate system to the right UTM
srids in the spatial_ref_sys table; see spatialreference.org for help.
2) See this function:
http://www.postgis.org/docs/ST_GeomFromText.html
(and to prove it works, the reverse is ST_X or ST_Y) to get X,Y back out )
3)
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#Manual_Register_Spatial_Column
(but also see the help under 'AddGeometryColumn (
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/AddGeometryColumn.html)

Hope this helps.

Mark