[postgis-users] Build Postgis - no Numpy in GDAL python bindings

Andreas Forø Tollefsen andreasft at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:20:37 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I am referring to my previous post 'raster geomval return integer'
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.postgis/28883).

I want to use the geomval and have decimal values in return. Hence, I
need to install latest GDAL Subversion then rebuild and install
postgis.

I have built and installed the latest GDAL Subversion from  svn
checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal gdal
Using: ./configure --with-python as usual.
Make, and sudo make install.

Then i configure postgis using ./configure --with-raster
This normally works great, but now i get an error:
RASTER: Raster support requested
checking for GDAL >= 1.6.0... found
checking for GDALFPolygonize in -lgdal... yes
checking for GDAL Python bindings... found
checking for NumPy array support in GDAL Python bindings... not found
configure: error: GDAL Python bindings with NumPy array support
required by raster2pgsql.py loader

So i guessed i had to reinstall the numpy from the package manager,
but that did not work either.
Then i install latest Subversion of Numpy from git clone
git://github.com/numpy/numpy.git numpy
Then sudo python install
This completed. Then i rebuilt GDAL with python support and Postgis
with raster support, but i still get the same error.

checking for NumPy array support in GDAL Python bindings... not found
configure: error: GDAL Python bindings with NumPy array support
required by raster2pgsql.py loader

Any hints on what i can try?

Thanks!
Andreas