[postgis-users] compile on solaris 11 sparc

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 06:19:56 PDT 2011

On 06/09/11 12:54, Doug McComber wrote:

> Didn't work (E flag).  I ended up dumping Solaris for FreeBSD.  You
> see I always fall for this trap.  Every time I dust of my Sunfire I
> get enchanted with the idea of using Solaris.  But, and especially
> with Oracle now, Solaris is not very free or open.  And I always end
> up running into some hurdle that isn't worth struggling with when
> there are plenty of good alternatives (Debian and FreeBSD come to
> mind).  Of course I am ranting here so I'll stop. :)  Thanks for your
> and everyone else's help in trying to solve this.
>
> Doug

Well just for the record - the issue here was that the person who built
your PostgreSQL binaries used the native Sun compiler on their system
hence embedding this as the default CC in the PGXS Makefile used by
PostGIS. If you still wanted to use Solaris then using GCC to build both
PostgreSQL and PostGIS on your server should give you something that
would work.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS