[postgis-users] Geom/Rast Intersection St9bad_alloc

JamesH james.holmes at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 02:50:37 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am attempting to intersect a thermal raster TIFF with a MasterMap
shapefile.

Both sets of data are stored in my database successfully and the query I am
running is:
SELECT gid, ST_Intersection(geom, rast, 1)
FROM clip_build, nclheat
WHERE ST_Intersects(rast, geom)

The raster file is quite large so takes a few hours to run, but it returned
an error message that I don't fully understand (below)
NOTICE:  Ring Self-intersection at or near point 425485.0638371231
567560.21788342111
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "st_intersection" line 10 at RETURN QUERY
NOTICE:  LWGEOM_GEOS_buildArea() threw an error: St9bad_alloc
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "st_intersection" line 10 at RETURN QUERY
ERROR:  St9bad_alloc
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "st_intersection" line 10 at RETURN QUERY

Can anyone explain how to solve the Ring self-intersection problem or what
St9Bad_alloc is?

Kind Regards,
James

-----