[postgis-users] Using PosGIS in one dimension

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:43:54 PDT 2012

On 26 April 2012 07:41, David William Bitner <bitner at gyttja.org> wrote:
> If you follow PostgreSQL development, you can see that 9.2 is bringing a
> whole suite of range data types for dealing with one dimensional intervals
> with the same expressivity as PostGIS. Not there yet, but coming soon....

Yup, I'll certainly agree with David's suggestion of the new range
type for 9.2. You can define integer ranges using int4range. The range
type shares some of the same DB technology as PostGIS, such as GiST
indices, so it is sort-of a 1D version of PostGIS.

A really good article describing the upcoming range type is at:
http://www.depesz.com/2011/11/07/waiting-for-9-2-range-data-types/

-Mike