[postgis-users] pgsql2shp encoding problem

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Jul 5 06:06:05 PDT 2012

Thanks strk,

On 05/07/2012, at 5:07 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:39:16PM +0800, Ben Madin wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem exporting data from a utf8 database to shape files for a client. They are receiving the data and viewing it only to find that characters with diacritics are all messed up.
>
> Does their system support utf8 ?

I don't know (but I assume so - Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64 bit)

>> Can anyone advise me if this is true and reasonable? Or more importantly, will work with ArcGIS and / or MapServer?
>
> You tell us what works with what by testing it.

I don't have (nor do I have much inclination to invest in…) the above system (I don't really have any Windows background, and I'm not involved in the software, only supply the spatial data in shapefile format - not my choice. They are using MapServer 5.2.1 (on IIS 7.5, which has only caused me grief in the past), hence my desire to see if anyone else had experience before I go backwards down that line.

> My impression is that the standard should be UTF8 for everything, specifically to avoid the localisation issue once and for all.

'should be' … it's a world away from 'is' - there doesn't even seem to be a standard for referring to the standards! i.e. LATIN1 ≈ ISO-8859-1 ≈ 28591≈ ISO88591

and UTF8 ≈ utf-8

cheers

Ben