[postgis-users] How to update (replace) a Postgis table?

Francois Hugues hugues.francois at irstea.fr
Fri Feb 8 01:36:52 PST 2013

Hello,

I think  the reason why your renaming does not work comes from your
index. If you want to use the renaming strategy you may have two
strategies :
- use alter index after altertable to rename
- import with shp2pgsql without -I option and create the index on the
new populated table with a different index name

To use the -d option as suggested by paolo, you can make a backup withe
create table as xxx_original as select * from xxx (but this table will
not be indexed so to keep constraints on the table you'd better renaming
/ drop existing index)

Hugues.