[postgis-users] PostGIS Best Practices Question

Rick_Higginbotham at unigroupinc.com Rick_Higginbotham at unigroupinc.com
Wed Jul 17 06:22:18 PDT 2013

Hello All,

We are embarking down the open source software stack road and we are
looking to get off on the right foot with PostGIS so I thought the best
place to start would be to ask the list a question.  We are currently
running Postgres 9.2.2 on RHEL 6.3.  We have already created 5 pairs
(master/standby streaming) of Postgres database cluster to support the
various business functions.  We currently do not have the PostGIS
extension enabled on any of our existing databases.

My best practices questions involve our existing suite of Postgres
database clusters.  What are the best practice recommendations for
enabling geo spatial features on existing Postgres databases?  Should we
build new Postgres database cluster servers, enable PostGIS on the new
database clusters and extract and load into the new environment for the
existing databases that we what to geo spatial enable or geo spatial our
existing database by creating the PostGIS extension on the existing
database clusters?

Are there cons to installing PostGIS and enabling the geospacial
extensions on a system with 5 schema's where only 1 schema has a
geospacial requirement??

Thanks for everyone's input and please let me know if you need any more
details.

-Rick Higginbotham
The information contained in this message, and any attachments thereto,
is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, copying, or other use of the transmitted information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.  UNIGROUPINC.COM