[postgis-users] Cut extent box2d into small regular boxes, and iterate through each box of features

Lars Aksel Opsahl Lars.Opsahl at nibio.no
Mon Mar 28 02:01:37 PDT 2022

>From: postgis-users <postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong at gmail.com>Sent: Monday, March 28, 2022 10:25 AMTo: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org>Subject: Re: [postgis-users] Cut extent box2d into small regular boxes, and iterate through each box of features
>
>Hi, Lars,
>
>No explanation on content-balanced_grid can be found.  What is it based on?  What does content mean in this context?  Why do so?

Hi

There is some info in the readme file https://github.com/larsop/content_balanced_grid#readme and here I also refer to
" For a exaample of usage look at page 18-23 at http://www.slideshare.net/laopsahl/foss4-g-topologyjuly162015

"

The idea very simple the higher density of polygons/features in a area the smaller will the grid cells be. When running it you have parameter for how many feature that should be max in each grid cell. Content is polygons/features.

The code is also quite simple and the main function is here https://github.com/larsop/content_balanced_grid/blob/master/func_grid/functions_def_02_content_based_balanced_grid.sql .

The code in github is used quite often in NIBIO, but this code not like Postgis code that works in almost any case. NIBIO is basically developing code to solve problems we have and when does are solved we start to solve other problems, but we put the code out in case other may need it and make easy for other to help use to fix errors.

Lars