[postgis-users] PostGIS verse those in Azure Cloud

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 29 17:09:30 PDT 2023

> Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Geospatial capability has varied maturity in different systems,
> > particular of interest is those in Azure Cloud as compared to PostGIS.
> >
> > Is there any publication on this topic?
>
> Postgis lives firmly in the open source world so I suspect you are getting
a lot
> of silent reactions like "huh, I never thought to use azure cloud - I
wonder if
> anyone knows."

Azure Cloud is a very vague thing.  It's really no more informative than
saying "Microsoft".
You need to be more specific about what you are talking about and for what
purpose.
Azure Cloud is a whole suite of tools.
They have cloud compute services.
Most people I know using Azure, are running on Cloud compute using Ubuntu
with their own installed PostgreSQL/PostGIS
and they don't use any of the other Azure services aside from the blob
storage.

If you are looking at databases they have DbaaS for PostgreSQL, SQL Server,
and MySQL.
For example there is Azure Database for PostgreSQL
And that I know does carry PostGIS and pgrouting

Within that, they've got a thing they call Flexible Server
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/flexible-server/overview
Which I think gives you more flexibility as to what you can install and
still have a managed database.

Then they have a thing called single server which was their flagship DbaaS.
As far as single server goes, I'd probably stay clear of it, since the
documentation they have lists near death versions of PostgreSQL and EOL'd
versions of PostGIS and pgrouting
Though it could be their documentation is just out of date.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/single-server/concepts-ex
tensions

Then there is their Azure Cosmos Db for PostgreSQL -- which is basically
PostgreSQL Citus extension under the hood (folded in when they bought the
CitusDb PostgreSQL company)
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/postgresql/introduction
-- I'm not sure what extensions besides Citus are offered in this.
I'm pretty sure PostGIS is offered here (and at least 3.something version
and PostgreSQL 13 or above) as I do recall one of my clients running this
with PostGIS 3.0 or 3.1  installed.

and then there is the whole Azure IOT Maps thing. I don't know anyone using
this, but looks like a pay per call suite of api services.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/azure-maps

Hope that helps,
Regina