[postgis-devel] OGC WKB/T - PGIS EWKB/T

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu Dec 23 03:48:09 PST 2004

Markus,

> Is remember having stumbled over this document earlier, but I
> always regarded it as proposal. Is it really approved, and
> thus an official spec?

This is part of an e-mail from Kurt Buehler, sent to the OGC Simple
Features for COM Working Group on 6th September, 1999:

> Finally, Adam's Z-value revision 99-402r2 passed.
> It can still be obtained at:
>   https://feature.opengis.org/members/archive/99-402r2.doc
>   https://feature.opengis.org/members/archive/99-402r2.pdf
>   https://feature.opengis.org/members/archive/99-402r2.ps
>   https://feature.opengis.org/members/archive/99-402r2.rtf

Those URLs are now 404's, the member area having been replaced by the
portal.  I will chase OGC up about making the document more public.

The only WKBZ-aware implementations that I know of are ours, Safe
Software's FME, and Frank Warmerdam's OGR.

> However, we still have to convince the OGC to adopt our
> interpretation of M values.

I suggest that you and/or Refractions draft a change request proposal
based on 99-402, to extend WKB and WKT to include M and ZM.  Cadcorp, as
an OGC Technical Committee member, would be willing to act as the
submitter.

Regards,
Martin