[postgis-devel] Turning spatial_ref_sys into a view to separate system vs. user entries

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 2 06:26:56 PST 2022

> * The table contains definitions that might be outdated or imprecise
> and PROJ has already way better alternatives for them. PROJ is already
> doing all the heavy lifting to keep good definitions and
> transformations so I think the default behaviour should be to defer to
> it, and only keep new (re-)definitions under spatial_ref_sys.
In particular, it might be dangerous with PROJ >= 6 to rely on the
PROJ.4 definitions exported by PROJ >= 6. The will lack +towgs84 in most
cases, and this is on purpose. Records coming from EPSG should ideally
not include a PROJ.4 string. Should only be allowed for custom entries.

--
http://www.spatialys.com