[postgis-devel] Proposal: drop support for libproj < 6.1 in PostGIS 3.3.0

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Feb 12 06:44:54 PST 2022

Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> writes:

> By the way, I sometimes wish we had a 'safe space' to talk as
> packagers, because we should be able to share and not offend project
> teams with unfortunate facts and reports, as this sharing is like gold
> to hear from other packagers.
>
> So I want to thank-you here for sharing as a fellow packager.

Thanks.  I think it's actually best that we have these discussions in
front of everyone.  For unison (not geo) I am the maintainer, and while
I don't hear from packagers, I do hear a lot of e.g. "I'm running Ubuntu
16.04 and i want the latest unison not only to build, but for *you* to
make me binaries", so I do understand the other side of how maintainers
are besieged by unreasonable expectations.

From the maintainer side, I see LTS as a huge issue, as LTS systems and
users expect projects to maintain the old versions (bugfixes and
security fixes) for enormous time lengths, and to continue to allow new
versions to be built with all the dependencies being old.  I don't think
that is at all reasonable.

That's why I limited my comments to the complexities of updating beyond
6.3 in a context where there was no "we don't do updates" policy.