[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

'Sandro Santilli' strk at kbt.io
Fri Jul 8 00:21:48 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 05:35:19PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> It doesn't solve the problem though that we still have to have a path to ANY
> for every micro version.

> My argument is few sql scripts change in micros, and when they do, we can
> have a round-robin loop so that a user can always be upgraded using
>
> SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
>
> So we don't loose much except those damn extra files.

If we accept to tell users they need to use this to upgrade:

  SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();

We can then avoid ALL damn extra files except a single
file installed by PostGIS-X.Y.Z:

  postgis--ANY--X.Y.Z.sql

This is already possible for upgrades from PostGIS-3.3.0
onward (3.3.0 introduced this support in `postgis_extensions_upgrade`)

--strk;