[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jul 8 07:17:40 PDT 2022

> > It doesn't solve the problem though that we still have to have a path
> > to ANY for every micro version.

> > My argument is few sql scripts change in micros, and when they do, we
> > can have a round-robin loop so that a user can always be upgraded
> > using
> >
> > SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
> >
> > So we don't loose much except those damn extra files.
>
> If we accept to tell users they need to use this to upgrade:
>
>   SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
>
> We can then avoid ALL damn extra files except a single file installed by
> PostGIS-X.Y.Z:
>
>   postgis--ANY--X.Y.Z.sql
>
> This is already possible for upgrades from PostGIS-3.3.0 onward (3.3.0
> introduced this support in `postgis_extensions_upgrade`)
>
> --strk;

We already voted against that idea.  One reason is it doesn't work across
all systems. E.g. on cloud platforms where you are not allowed to update
system catalogs.

Why is there no Changed notice in the postgis_extensions_upgrade function
for 3.3.0 (missing in both the .sql script and the docs) ?

-- Regina Obe